One feels tempted to look into a mirror when it is near. I took a look. In those days I was a great admirer of beauty and I believed in making myself look handsome. I was unmarried and was a doctor. I felt I had to make my presence felt. I picked up the comb and ran it through my hair and adjusted the parting so that it looked straight and neat. Again I heard that sound from above. I took a close look at my face in the mirror. I made an important decision – I would shave daily and grow a thin moustache to look more handsome. I was, after all, a bachelor, and a doctor!
1. ‘One feels tempted to look into a minor.’ Why does the doctor say so?
2. What impression do you get about the character of the doctor?
3. What decision did the doctor take?
4. ‘I heard a sound from above.’ Begin the sentence with ‘A sound’.
5. Read the following sentence. He was unmarried and was a doctor.
Now, frame a sentence of the same pattern in which ‘and’ connects two verb phrases.
Question 8Question 8
1. The doctor was a great admirer of beauty and believed in making himself look handsome.
2. Great admirer of beauty/proud of his appearance/ liked to make his presence felt.
3. To shave daily and grow a thin moustache to look more handsome.
4. The sound was heard from above.
5. I went to the market and bought a dozen oranges.