Read the passage from the story ‘Vanka’ and answer the questions that follow: Question 6
Grandfather would drag the tree to the big house, and they would start decorating it… Miss Olga Ignatyevna, Vanka’s favourite, was the busiest of all. While Pelageya, Vanka’s mother, was alive and in service at the big house, Olga Ignatyevna used to give Vanka sweets, and amuse herself by teaching him to read, write and count to a hundred, and even to dance the quadrille. But when Pelageya died, the orphaned Vanka was sent
down to the back kitchen to his grandfather, and from there to Moscow, to Alyakhin the shoemaker….
1.When did Vanka spend his time with Miss Olga Ignatyevna?
2.Olga Ignatyevna used to give Vanka sweets…’ What do you understand from this statement?
3.How did Miss Olga help Vanka?
4.What happened to Vanka after the death of his mother?
5. Complete the following sentence.
If Pelageya had not died,…………………
1. When his mother was alive and in service at the
2. She was very loving, kind and generous.
3. She taught him to read, write, count to a hundred
and even dance the quadrille.
4. He was sent down to the back kitchen to his
grandfather and from there to the shoemaker’s at
5. Vanka would have lived with her in the big house.